Sunday, March 14, 2010

More British colloquialisms

It occurs to me this is a one-way activity: I can share British words and phrases with Americans, but I can't share American phrases with the Brits, because Hollywood has done that for me.  (Although I did cause a little confusion yesterday when I said I was "heading out.")

flick=knife
boot sale=flea market (selling goods from the 'boot' of your car)
squidgy=wet and squishy
floppy=relaxed
stroppy=angry or upset
mobile=cell phone
pillion=second seat (or second rider) on a motorcycle
caravan=RV
Static caravan=mobile home
Under the cosh=under pressure, as in a deadline (a cosh is a police baton)

Stoplights here are known as traffic lights, and they have amber lights, not yellow.  While that may sound pretty minor, I learned the difference while I was in the middle of a presentation to a client about a 'stoplight report' I was developing.  Oops.

No comments: