Monday, May 10, 2010

Day one

It's funny, I feel like I've been floating in the jet stream of my life.  I guess it was inevitable: Everything was so purposed and intentional, so intense and personal, I'm sure I needed a break, though I had no idea it would last four years.

That all ended last month when I accepted the job offer -- the job I had hoped to get three years ago.  All the doubt, the indecision, the confusion, just sloughed away.  Suddenly I had clarity and direction again.  This wasn't because of the job; that was simply the catalyst, the fork in the road forcing a choice to be made.  Everything had been in limbo and it was finally coming to a head, and once I moved past that, I might as well have walked out of a cloud.

(Okay, it took a couple of weeks to actually comprehend what had changed, but I felt it--physically--the moment it occurred.)

Now I feel unsettled, antsy, ready to go.  Everything has been neglected too long, and I want it all done yesterday.  I know exactly what I need to do, and it's just the execution.  My first step was buying a car, although I want to point out my choice  to give up my car 4 years ago was not dissimilar to my choice to give up meat 8 years ago.  In fact, not having a car actually reduced my stress, as well as my carbon footprint, and I was quite sad to give that up.  However, what the car represented was my first "big" purchase in the UK, the first item I could not take back to the US, and thus my first real commitment to staying here.

Next, I'm going to find a place I love, and make it home. I challenged myself to be open and flexible, and I think I certainly have been--but now is the time to put down roots, and that starts with a home.

Then I'm going to see the world.  I've already got Ireland, Spain, France, and Amsterdam lined up for short trips.  This year I want to see South Africa---after the World Cup, of course--and I promise I will get back to Los Angeles, although it may not be until Christmas time.  (And it may be via Australia.)

If I can qualify as a 'home' student, I plan on going back to school and earning a Master's degree in software engineering.  (A 'home' student pays £3-4,000 while an 'overseas' student pays £9-11,000!)

And most importantly, I plan on extending my circle of friends here beyond...3.  (Goodness, that's pathetic.)

As for the rest, well, Jess gets some input, and I think in many ways she's been in the same cloud as me.  Hopefully, together, we can figure this out.  But regardless of what actually happens, the important point is that it will be by our choice; not by default, not by procrastination or indecision or hesitation, and certainly not because of anybody else.

And one thing is for sure, there will never be another 'day one' in my life.

I'm back, baby.

No comments: