Monday, February 28, 2022

Food processor

A few years ago, my wife's food processor died. I had brought my small one from the UK, but it just didn't cut it. We were pretty skint at the time but I looked up some recommendations and found a used one on Trademe (our equivalent of eBay) that looked good, so I bought it.

My wife hated it.

To be fair, it came with 32 pieces (I counted!) and none of them worked particularly well. When I had to shred 10kg of potatoes for hanukkah, I would put the end bits through the machine two or three times, and still had to pick out the chunks. Recently she tried to make falafel and it was struggling with soaked chickpeas. That was the last straw: She wanted a new food processor.

Not to make the same mistake, I looked up some recommendations, identified three models that looked good and then took my wife to three different shops to see them. She liked the mid-range model and I was about to shell out NZ $324 for it.

While I was looking for the box, she looked on Trademe and saw a listing for the same model, in Wellington, closing the next day. Current bid was $20.

The next day I put in a bid and we got it for $21.

We picked it up today and it's perfectly fine. My wife got one she's happy with and she saved us $300. She's pretty amazing that way.

My next step was selling our old one. Unfortunately while I was photographing it I discovered two cracks and two missing pieces, but as long as I can get more than $20 for it, we'll come out even.

No comments: