Thursday, July 1, 2010

Americans abroad

Jess has introduced me to a terrible new game, 'Spot the American.' It's so addictive, I can't believe I used to be oblivious to it. The rules are very simple: Whenever you are traveling, find the loudest, most obnoxious person in the room, and determine his (or hers) nationality. Invariably, it's American.

Perhaps I'm overly sensitive, but it's gotten to the point where I cringe when I'm around Americans. I don't want to talk to them, I don't want to be associated with them, and I want to get away from them as quickly as possible. Of course, they aren't all like that, but you can't really tell the polite Americans from other Europeans.

In fact, I think the only people that travel worse than Americans are the British. However, it's not as noticeable because Brits only go places where everyone is British*. In fact, I might even invent my own game: If you see a Brit on holiday, look around; you're probably surrounded by them.

* George Mikes wrote a lovely little book in the 1950s called "How not to be British," in which he postulated the only reason Brits go on holiday is to meet their neighbors.

No comments: