Monday, February 21, 2011

Bosworth kitchen, take 2

Yesterday I walked up the drive along the side the house and discovered a new kitchen window.

I'm not kidding. The previous owners appear to have papered over it and hung cabinets in front of it. It's a big window as well -- about 1.2 meters square -- and while it just looks out at the neighbour's window, it will still let in more light, so we're going to open it again.  However, as you can see from the picture, we no longer have any storage space in the kitchen!  The boiler and washing machine now have to move upstairs, and we'll get a large sideboard in the dining room for dishes -- fortunately, we have plenty of space for that. (Anita suggested built-in cabinets to match the kitchen, and I quite like that idea.)  So we're not quite there yet...



We did get some good news from the engineer: We don't need an RSJ (steel beam) in the kitchen, although it quite worries me that the upstairs wall is not actually supported by anything.  (The engineer described the upstairs wall as 'clinker bricks,' indicating they weighed very little; however, Wikipedia defines clinker bricks as denser than regular bricks, so I don't know and frankly don't care.  If the engineer says I don't need a US $600 steel beam, I'm not going to argue.)

So far we have spoken to 3 builders, 2 electricians, 3 architects, 1 engineer, a kitchen designer, and a floor refinisher.  If judged on the amount of talking and planning we've done, we should have finished weeks ago. Tomorrow I have to call the engineer to see about building regulations, the builder to tell him we want to remove the chimney breasts, the electrician to tell him I want dimmer switches and garden lights, the architect to schedule another time to meet, and a plasterer who was recommeneded by a co-worker. I still have to find someone to replace the windows, a plumber to move the boiler, and Jess and I have to discuss bathroom layout and lighting options.  And this is a small remodel!

No comments: