Friday, September 28, 2012

Wheat is delicious

That's it, that's all I had to say. Until you stop eating it--or try substituting for it--you don't really appreciate it. I always assumed people started eating it because it was easy to store, not because it tasted good, but it really does. Plus the gluten makes it so incredibly flexible, no wonder why--5,000 years later--it's still a staple crop! Amazing.

Of course none of that means it's actually fit for human consumption, so I am still avoiding it, though I'm not freaking out if it's the only thing available. ("Better wheat than meat" is my motto.)

Now the next step is to start a fasting diet, eating less than 500 calories two days per week and normally on the other five. Having just enjoyed (?) a 25-hour fast over Yom Kippur, I know I can handle it, especially as you're allowed to drink and eat small portions. It's just a question of getting started and sticking to it, two things I've always found challenging.

No comments: