Saturday, April 23, 2016

Citizen of the Crown


Yep, I finally got my UK passport*.  It was a vanity project, really -- I don't need it, and it wasn't cheap, but having two passports makes me feel like Jason Bourne.

Actually, it would have helped in Auckland en route to Japan, but that's because it has an RFID chip and I could have used the automated lanes.  This was only an issue because I'd gotten confused and was watching the wrong entry on the departures board, and ended up having to race to the gate and was the last one to board.  However, apart from that it would not have helped at all and in fact coming back through Auckland, the NZ officer said that since I had a resident visa I could use the NZ passport lane, anyway.

Now that I think about it, because the visa is in my US passport I will have to carry that to get back in NZ, but now that I have a British passport I am required by law to use that when entering the UK, so I've just damned myself to carrying both passports!   What was I thinking?

* I'd like to say I made the photo intentionally fuzzy for security purposes, but of course there's nothing sensitive on the passport cover!  However, the RFID chips have no encryption and will respond to any RF reader in their proximity, so I better get a better passport holder.  (Oh wait, those don't work.)

No comments: