Thursday, February 18, 2010

Back in the U.S.S.A.

[Sorry, was just reading about the Beatles' Abbey Road studio being put up for sale.]

After a rather grueling month of 80-hour weeks -- punctuated only by my company telling me how unappreciated my efforts are -- I'm taking a few days off to visit my uncle in Georgia.  His recent medical issues -- in December he didn't know who I was, and thought he was back in Connecticut -- seemed to have faded, the only lingering effect being that he has forgotton large chunks of his past.  He calls me now, looking at a photograph, and wants to know if that really happened.  I'm just happy to be talking to him.

I'm also taking him to Chattanooga, Tennesee for a night, just to get him out of the house.  He was there about 14 years ago, but of course he doesn't remember.  I've never been.  We're staying at the old terminal, where they've converted train cars into actual bedrooms.  (Not sleeper cars -- they pulled out the seats and actually installed beds.)  Hopefully we'll get a chance to see Ruby Falls but the tour is 4/5ths of a mile, so it may not happen.

No comments: