Sunday, February 28, 2010

Yorkshire pudding

Not exactly a popular dish in the States, I've only actually seen it served at one restaurant in Los Angeles, Lawry's, along side their prime rib.  In my head, then, it had the same association with blood as black pudding, which is really too disgusting to even think about -- and a traditional part of any English breakfast.

So I was surprised and delighted to learn that Yorkshire pudding is simply a batter (not unlike pancakes) that is entirely acceptable for vegetarians.  Of course, the traditional Yorkshire pud is cooked on a tray underneath a roasting joint in order to catch the drippings, and then served with a meat gravy, but obviously I won't be eating mine that way.  (I'll be eating mine out of the freezer.)

Now I need to find some vegetarian prawn crackers. (I found 'Roast Ox' flavored chips that are vegetarian, but I really don't see the point.)

No comments: