Saturday, February 27, 2010

Timing is everything

In 2008, when I moved to London, the exchange rate was near record high, meaning the money I brought here was worth 25% less than it would have been just a few years before. In addition, I moved from the 55th most expensive city in the world to the third. Then I started looking for a job during the worst recession in 60 years.

Less than a year later, when I finally started earning pounds, the exchange rate had fallen to record lows, meaning that the money I send back to the US is now worth 25% less than a year ago! I know I've mentioned this before, but I just can't believe how bad my timing was. Plus, I found this cool graph:


On the bright side, last year London fell to the 16th most expensive city in the world, while Los Angeles jumped to #23.

No comments: