Friday, July 5, 2013

This weekend

My original plan was to drive home Thursday (after visiting a friend in Birmingham), do security in Maidenhead on Friday, visit my friend Lucy in Bournemouth on Saturday, see the Mary Rose* in Portsmouth (near Bournemouth) on Sunday, drive home Sunday night, go into London Monday evening, and drive back to Runcorn on Tuesday.

Then Lucy had to be back in London Saturday night, but another friend wanted to see the Mary Rose, so I was going to drive to Bournemouth after security duty on Friday (arriving around midnight), drive back to London Saturday afternoon, then drive home and come back to London Sunday morning, drive to Portsmouth and back, then return to Reading.  I added up the total mileage and it was 875 miles--and 17 hours on the road--over 5 days!!

Fortunately, Lucy had to cancel, so I get to stay home on Saturday.  (Actually, I'm hoping to go to Wimbledon, but that's down to the luck of the draw if I get tickets.)  That's still 661 miles.  If I can talk my friend into coming to Reading, that will save me another 100 miles.

On the bright side, at least I know I'm taking full advantage of having my car this weekend!

No comments: