Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Settling down

It's funny, we haven't even moved in yet -- the house isn't even livable yet -- but as the move date draws closer, I feel myself settling down.

Each time I write my new postcode, I feel myself lingering over it, knowing it will be with me for a long time. When I file a change of address, I feel a sense of satisfaction knowing I won't be filing another one for years. As I meet each neighbor, I think of all the times I will wave to them in the street. Even something as simple as turning on the TV makes me wonder how that will feel in the new house.

Of course, as I shop for light fixtures, there's a slight panic that I will be living with them for years, but I'm sure it will be fine.

I've never actually experienced this before. Every other home felt temporary, even after I'd been there for twelve years! Perhaps it's my age, or my desire to settle down, but I suspect it has a lot more to do with Jess. I can't wait to live the rest of my life with her.

No comments: