Sunday, February 19, 2012

Accidental security

The world being what it is, synagogues have to provide security at services.  At the London synagogue I attended, all members were expected to participate once or twice a year.  I joined the Maidenhead synagogue in December,  but no one had contacted me about security detail, so last Friday I asked.

Huge mistake.

It turns out Maidenhead has a small team of volunteers who provide security once or twice a month.

And I had just volunteered.

I actually don't mind.  For some reason, I'd wanted to give something back, perhaps because the way the rabbi welcomed me, or maybe because the London synagogue had given me so much.  For whatever reason, I was happy to help out.

Today I met with the head of the security team, who has been doing this for 27 years.  I thought we'd take an hour or so -- we took three, plus I have a follow-up appointment with the caretaker to go over the building procedures, and then I have to shadow three other details, on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday service!  Then I'll be allowed to stand out front and open the gate for people.

Is it overkill?  Perhaps. There have been no incidences in Maidenhead in 27 years, other than being picketed once during the 2009 Gaza blockade.  However, the 'Community Support Trust' (which coordinates security information for the Jewish community in the UK) documented almost 600 incidences in the UK in 2011.  (You can read more here.)

So that's it.  I won't get a badge or a star or anything other than the satisfaction of helping the community.  I've never done that before--should be interesting.

No comments: