Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Three foods I'm excited about

I still haven't gotten the hang of cooking for one.  I cook for two and tell myself I'll have leftovers, but I never do.  This is why I've put on a stone* in the last 4 months.  However, while I've been playing in the kitchen, I've 'rediscovered' a few favorites:

1) Dates.  I bought them to put in a smoothie, and then I ate them all and had to go back to the shop.  Delicious!

2) Limes.  I know, so silly, but I've been squeezing them into everything lately -- cranberry juice, a papaya smoothie, over veggies.  Just amazing.

3) Creamy garlic dressing.  The recipe is so simple -- you throw 8 garlic cloves and 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice into a blender, and while blending you slowly pour 3/4 cup of olive oil in to make a nice creamy dressing.  The recipe I used called for some liquid amino acids (i.e. soy sauce) which made the sauce turn beige; tasted delicious, but I want to try again without.  This recipe also called for a three-inch piece of ginger; I used a one-inch piece and it was still fiery!  Can't say all that oil is healthy, but over raw or steamed veggies, nothing beats it.

* 14 pounds

No comments: