Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Male apologist

I'm not sure how it happened, but I've become an apologist for my gender.

Part of it is because I've been talking to so many dates and realising just what they have to deal with.

Part of it is because one of the dates recommended Caitlyn Moran's brilliant "How To Be A Woman," which really made me appreciate the female condition.

Part of it is because I converted to Reform Judaism, where most of the "reform" was around how women were treated.

But mostly it's because men are just horrible, myself included!

Things like abuse, rape, sexist and derogatory remarks, etc. always made me wince, of course, but it was something other people did.  Now, and for no apparent reason, I identify with these people.  I no longer feel detached; I feel like I was the one who did these things!

When I see a stick of a woman tottering around on heels looking like she's about to break an ankle, I no longer think, "silly girl." I think, "What have we done to create the conditions to make this woman feel she has to practically torture herself to gain societal approval?"

These are not normal thoughts!!

When I hear men objectifying women, I think, "How would we feel if our bosses made similar judgements about us?"

And when I tell myself to grow some balls, I think, "Why do I equate testicles with being confident and self-assured?"

The world has suddenly become a much more confusing, and depressing, place.  I've always adored women, most of my friends are women, and I have no doubt that much of the discrimination we see today is man's brutish attempt to maintain the status quo, because we recognise that in our own laziness, we organized society such that muscles are obsolete, and which allows women to surpass us in every walk of life.  In fact, the only reason we are still preferred in the workplace is because we are incapable of carrying babies.

Taking this to its logical conclusion, male children are still heavily selected by fathers...but more and more women are choosing to have children of their own, and it is these same women who realize they don't need a man who will soon realize they don't need a boy, either.  After all, there is a reason farmers maintain a cow-to-bull ratio of 30-to-1, or higher.

Now, go make yourself a sandwich.

No comments: