Thursday, May 10, 2012

Wheat-free

So it's been about 2 months since I stopped eating wheat (or at least started talking about giving it up).  I haven't lost any weight, I don't feel any different, my eczema hasn't cleared up, I haven't found the love of my life or inherited a million dollars or any of the other things that were promised.

But somehow I'm okay with it.  I think it was partly because the withdrawal was so difficult, that was just a red flag to me.  I don't like being addicted to anything.

Obviously I've started eating a lot more rice and oats, which are delicious. (I did eat some spelt until I found out it is just another form of wheat!)  It's also made me appreciate how hard coeliacs have it, since wheat (or at least gluten) is put into just about everything.

For breakfast I switched from cereal to oatmeal, which was nice because I got a hot breakfast now.  I've since switched to an oatmeal from "Rude Health" that combines 5 grains with 5 seeds, so much more balanced.  Throw in a handful of raisins and serve with a banana, and it just doesn't get any healthier.  (If I could ever remember to combine the cereal and soymilk in the evening and let it soak overnight, I am assured it will be even more delicious, but so far I haven't remembered...)

Lunch has been difficult, because all the obvious options are out, and many salads (or at least the interesting ones) like to throw in couscous, "wheat berries," or some form of wheat.  I can usually find a salad or go to the supermarket and get an "Innocent veg pot" such as "thai coconut curry," "mexican 3-bean chili," and "eggplant moussaka."  (Innocent also make a line of smoothies that are also my drink of choice, but more importantly they make the best commercials in the world.)

Dinner has been a hit-or-miss affair, full of stir-fries, tacos, the occasional risotto. Sadly, I've been travelling so much (and busy when I'm here), I haven't really been able to stock up the fridge and plan any meals.  Hopefully that will change soon.

But the important thing, of course, are snacks and desserts.  Going wheat-free drove me into the "free from" aisle at the supermarket, where I found 9bar.  When I was in Israel, I discovered a candy bar made from sunflower seeds and honey that was absolutely divine, but of course I haven't been able to find it in England...until I found 9bar.  They added pumpkin seeds (plus sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and hemp) to make it even better!  At 250 calories per bar, I really shouldn't eat so many...but I do anyway.  (To my mind, that's half as many calories as a chocolate bar...so I eat two.)

For dessert, I've been sticking to smoothies, which is good, although I really hate cleaning the blender. But last night I made a very dangerous discovery: Rice pudding is insanely easy to make. Seriously, a pint of milk, 1/4 cup of short-grain white rice, and 2 tablespoons of sugar...mix in an ovenproof pan (not covered), and cook at 300F for 2 hours.  (Mix once after 30 minutes, and reduce cooking time by 30 minutes for convection ovens.)  Add some nutmeg and raisins and...wow.  They say it feeds four, but I ate it all by myself.

So what's my point?  I don't actually have one, other than life is humming along pretty normally despite making such a drastic change to my diet.  If I'd known it would go this smoothly, I would have given up wheat years ago.

Next up...shavuot and cheesecake.

P.S. Hummus and avocado on a spelt waffle with a little chili oil is delicious.  (Not wheat-free, but delicious.)

No comments: