Friday, July 24, 2020

The noughties

I wrote this in 2010 but never published it...
 
The end-of-decade celebrations have included a lot of timelines, so I thought it would be fun to contrast my life then-and-now.
20002010In between What's next?
WorkWorking for a large consulting companyWorking for a small consulting companyBecame an independent contractor for Honda; opened a bed and breakfastRenew my work permit in May, and then who knows?
ComputersRunning a 486 on Windows 98 with a dial-up modem, hooking up to a public server in Colorado to access the Internet.Running a crappy old laptop, that is still 20 times faster than my old desktopWent through 3 computers, including building a desktop from scratch two years ago; now it's a doorstop; bought laptops for nieces and nephewsUpgrading to a new netbook next year, with Chrome OS
TechnologyAfter years of saying I would never have a mobile phone, finally bought oneAfter toying with the idea of an iPhone, got a Motorola Razr that doesn't do anythingAfter years of saying I would never get an electronic organizer, finally bought one (and when that broke, I bought a used one that was even older)Again toying with the idea of an iPhone
MusicRipped most of my albums to CDs. This was a laborious and time-consuming process, and took so much space I deleted the music off my hard driveMy laptop, phone, alarm clock, and electronic organizer can play MP3s, but I stream most music over the Internet.All of those CDs died, so I lost all of that music again. Ripped all of my CDs to MP3 files. Bought a record player, but sold it when I moved to London.Get my dad's old records out of my mom's garage
TelevisionHad a 20" TV set which was already 10 years oldHave a 32" TV set, which I bought for $30Didn't watch much TV until I got Tivo in 2003. Only shows I watch regularly are Doctor Who and The Daily Show.Get rid of my TV. (Went 6 months without one and didn't miss it.)
HomeHad a 3-bedroom house in LAHave a 1-bedroom flat in LondonMoved 9 times (twice back to LA)Moving in with Jessica, and buying a house together in May
CarI had just bought a '98 Pontiac Sunfire convertible, forest greenDon't have a car; have been using public transportation for 3 years :-)Left it in Pennsylvania; I have no idea whyMoving out to the countryside, and will need to buy another car :-(
Microwave ovenDidn't own a microwaveDon't own a microwaveNever bought a microwaveJess has said if we move in together, a microwave is non-negotiable
PhotographyHad just bought a Canon SLR cameraJust bought a Canon digital SLR cameraGot really into photography for several years, then lost all interestJess just gave me her old digital camera, because I kept complaining the SLR was too heavy to lug around
The InternetDidn't know anyone who had an email addressRegularly blast my friends with email spamStarted four blogs, built three web sites, and still completely missed the digital revolutionToying with a Twitter account
Comic stripsDilbertxkcdI still miss Calvin & HobbesFail blog
Books"A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold (published in 1949)"King Solomon's Ring" by Konrad Lorenz (published in 1952)Read a whole lot of books on business process management and historical home restorationHaven't read any fiction for about 15 years, so I have a lot of catch-up
MoviesCrouching Tiger, Hidden DragonCan't think of anything I loved, but still want to see Nowhere Boy, Up in the Air, and maybe AvatarLord of the Rings!Alice in Wonderland, The Rum Diaries and the A-Team :-)

No comments: