Thursday, July 30, 2020

Music to break up by

Dido's "Life for Rent" came on the other day and it took me back 9 years ago, to my breakup with Jess. In fact, I associate a specific album with every breakup in my life; or more accurately, I credit a specific album with helping me get through those dark periods. Dido's lyrics resonated with me at the time, like "Life for Rent"
I haven't ever really found a place that I call home
I never stick around quite long enough to make it
...
But if my life is for rent and I don't learn to buy
Well I deserve nothing more than I get
'cause nothing I have is truly mine
"White flag"
I know I left too much mess and
destruction to come back again
And I caused nothing but trouble
I understand if you can't talk to me again
"Sand in my Shoes"
I've still got sand in my shoes,
And I can't shake the thought of you
I should get on, forget you
But why would I want to?
I know we said goodbye,
Anything else would have been confused
But I want to see you again
and "Stoned"
When I feel loved baby, I join the road
And the world moves with me
When I feel lost I just slip away
Silently, quietly take my things and go
And think what's the point
Think where's the hope we're coming home
In 2006 it was Mindy Smith's "One Minute More" helping me get to grips not only with my divorce, but my entire future falling apart, with songs like "Raggedy Ann"
So when did I get so broken?
I wouldn't notice...
Everything just breaks away from me.
Hey! When did I get so broken?
I wouldn't notice...
Everything important leaving me.
Falling apart at the seams.
"Angel Doves"
When it's hard for you to breathe
Keep a clear mind
When it's hard for you to be
Just to be yourself sometimes
"Down in Flames"
And I would tell you I am happy
If I wasn't so damn sad
And the loneliness both overwhelms and keeps me empty
That's how it's been for a while
And life's so hard
It's the little things that seem to be getting me today, yeah
Life's so hard
But I'm doing what I can not to be getting down
I'm going down in flames
Going down in flames
and "Hurricane"
I need a hurricane
To empty out this place
Seems it's the only way
To salvage any sense I have left
To move on
In 1992, Steve Winwood's "Back in the High Life" got me through the end of my first relationship with songs like "Higher love"
Worlds are turning and we're just hanging on
Facing our fear and standing out there alone
A yearning, and it's real to me
There must be someone who's feeling for me
 "The Finer Things"
I've been sad
And have walked bitter streets alone
And come morning
There's a good wind to blow me home
So time be a river rolling into nowhere
I will live while I can
I will have my ever after
 And "My Love's Leaving" (a bit on-the-nose, I'll admit, but more poignantly she kept our dog, Shadow)
Can't believe, only me
Shadows in purple thrill me
I cry myself awake each night
I can't believe that it's true
Here am I, oh, where are you
Recently, I've noticed these songs I thought were about break ups could equally apply to death. Songs like Hall & Oates' "She's Gone," Willie Nelson's "Always On My Mind" and "Loving Her Was Easier," Bill Withers' “Ain’t No Sunshine,” Alison Krauss' "Baby, Now That I've Found You," Frank Sinatra's "One for My Baby" -- all take on a very sombre tone when you imagine the singer lost someone they loved. In particular, Crosby, Stills and Nash, "Southern Cross" is haunting.
When you see the Southern Cross for the first time
You understand now why you came this way
'Cause the truth you might be running from is so small
But it's as big as the promise, the promise of a coming day
So I'm sailing for tomorrow, my dreams are a dying'
And my love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain
I have my ship and all her flags are a flying'
She is all I have left and music is her name
Think about how many times I have fallen
Spirits are using me, larger voices calling'
What heaven brought you and me cannot be forgotten
I have been around the world looking' for that woman girl
Who knows love can endure
And you know it will
And you know it will

No comments: