Saturday, June 14, 2008

Personal ad, take 5

Unfortunately, although everyone liked the "You are..." format, I realized that in the search screen the first 200 characters were displayed, and it came off really controlling. I tried to juggle it around but it just didn't work--my cousin said the result was "direct and to the point" and my uncle said I sounded like an accountant. So I went back to the drawing board--twice--and here's what I came up with. I am also going to buy tighter jeans. (Don't ask me where that request came from.)

search screen:
gregg_from_la
A study in contrasts
I find my life is not neatly encapsulated: I'm a romantic who doesn't buy flowers, jewellery, or chocolate; my sense of

full version:
I find my life is not neatly encapsulated: I'm a romantic who doesn't believe in flowers or chocolate; I'm not materialistic but I need my creature comforts; I'm a homebody who loves to go out; I love animals but am allergic to anything with fur; I can be both independent and needy, intelligent and absent-minded, shy and inquisitive. I have no interest in sports, though I do play a little tennis. My sense of humour tends toward the irreverent and obscure. I'm fully domesticated and love to read, cook, and snuggle. I'm very affectionate, and need someone who will reciprocate.

I'm looking for someone who's also a bundle of contradictions: Outgoing and introspective, playful yet serious, strong but feminine, simple and sophisticated, smart but speaks from the heart. You are independent but like to be taken care of. You love surprises and are always up for an adventure. Your family is normal, or they live far away. (Mine live far away.) Drugs are simply not an option.

I just moved from Los Angeles, and am looking for a great friendship that may lead to a committed relationship.

[quoted "somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond" by e.e. cummings]

for fun:
All the usual: cinema, theatre, concerts, museums. I love watching old films on the big screen, meteor showers, and anything new/unusual. I love to walk anywhere--beach, city, country, doesn't matter. Don't do roller coasters or adrenaline sports.

my job:
Software developer

favorite hot spots:
Fall foliage in New England, Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, the island of Kauai in Hawai'i, the entire state of Arizona (but I wouldn't want to live there), and San Francisco (and I wouldn't mind living there). Also loved Morrocco and Amsterdam.

favorite things:
Films: Casablanca, Roman Holiday
Books: Another Roadside Attraction, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
Current music: Norah Jones, Swell Season, Alison Krauss, Kasey Chambers, Mindy Smith, Madeleine Peyroux, Corinne Bailey Rae
Food: tofu, avocados

last read:
"Newcomer's Guide to London" :-)

Now I just need to choose a primary photo...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greg My friend this doesn't sound like a personals ad this sounds like your describing a cat... with the exceptions of the computer programmer part (would be cool if the cat could but still I digress) :)