Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A very busy year

Jessica and I were talking about the West End and I mentioned some of the "big" shows I've already seen (Wicked, Avenue Q, Phantom of the Opera, Chicago, Lion King, Les Miserables), and she intimated that I was only interested in musicals. For some reason, that kind of stung, so I pulled up my 'Google calendar' to see what else I did last year, and I was quite amazed. It only goes back to mid-August, but here's what I did in just over four months:

Aug 22Dave Brubeck @ Hollywood Bowl (concert, with Madeleine Peyroux)
Aug 23Kronos @ Cal Plaza Watercourt (concert, walked out on this one)
Aug 24Big Bad Voodoo Daddy @ Hollywood Bowl (concert)
Aug 29Nancy Wilson @ Hollywood Bowl (concert, with Regina Carter)
Sep 12Paper Moon @ Egyptian (film)
Sep 13Downtown Artwalk (art)
Sep 15Beautiful Morning at Egyptian Arena (play)
Sep 21Jungle Book @ El Capitan Theater (film) Musical improv @ National Comedy Theater (comedy)
Sep 22CPR training @ YMCA "Slow motion dancing" exhibit @ Music Center (stupid)
Sep 23LA Fair It's Just Sex @ Zephyr Theatre (play)
Sep 27Junk: A Rock Opera @ Lyric Theatre (musical)
Sep 28Downtown Comedy Club semi-finals (comedy)
Sep 30Grand Avenue Festival Avenue Q @ Ahmanson Theatre (musical)
Oct 5Kimberly Akimbo @ Victory Theatre Center (play)
Oct 11Downtown Artwalk (art)
Oct 13Genesis @ Hollywood Bowl (concert)
Oct 18Eagles @ Nokia Theatre (concert)
Oct 20Weird Al Yankovic @ Greek Theatre (concert)
Oct 21Third @ Geffen Playhouse (play)
Oct 23Cartoon dump @ Steve Allen Theater (don't ask)
Oct 24Limonade Tous les Jours @ Hudson Mainstage (play, walked out on this one)
Oct 26Gulliver's Travels @ Ivy substation (play)
Oct 27Corteo (Cirque du Soleil)
Oct 28Pumpkin party
Oct 31'Twas the Nightmare before Christmas in 3D @ El Capitan (film)
Nov 3-4Sacramento
Nov 7Blade Runner @ Landmark Theater (film)
Nov 8Downtown Artwalk (art)
Nov 9Loudon Wainwright at El Rey Theatre (concert)
Nov 11Pajama Game @ Carpenter Center (musical)
Nov 18History Boys @ Ahmanson Theatre (play)
Nov 21-25Sacramento (Thanksgiving, Mom's surgery)
Nov 27Cartoon Dump @ Steve Allen Theatre (Loved that program)
Nov 30-Dec 2Sacramento
Dec 2Tom Paxton @ McCabe's (concert)
Dec 5Ask a Ninja Live @ El Rey (don't ask)
Dec 7Hair @ MET Theatre (musical)
Dec 8Beethoven Piano Concerto No 4 @ Walt Disney Concert Hall (concert)
Dec 14Chicago @ Hudson Backstage (musical)
Dec 16DWP Festival of Lights @ Griffith Park
Dec 20Ray Charles Live! @ Pasadena Playhouse (musical)
Dec 27-29Sacramento
Dec 30Color Purple @ Ahmanson Theatre (musical)
Jan 1, 2008Rose Parade

Throw in yoga classes and tennis lessons, and you can see it was quite a busy year, but there were still a ton of things I would have liked to do: McCabe's and the Aero Theater were too far; the Cerritos Center wasn't convenient; the Arclight/Cinerama Dome was too expensive; I only went to the beach a couple of times; Max Vontaine was doing Sinatra every Thursday at Cicada, but I didn't see him until my last week; and I only saw Bob Baker's marionnettes once. I did make the museum circuit -- Museum of Contemporary Art, LA County Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, California Science Museum, Geffen Contemporary, and Norton Simon -- but I didn't get back to Huntington Gardens or Descanso Gardens. I saw the Perseids but not the Geminids or Leonids. I bought tickets for, but couldn't attend, James Galway and Celtic Woman, and I booked a trip to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, but had to cancel last-minute. I never went to the Staples Center or Dodger Stadium, and I missed the Star Trek tour and the Star Wars convention, though that was more by choice.

So of 42 events, I saw 7 plays and 7 musicals--I think that's a respectable percentage. It was just the musicals had any name value.

On a completely different note, this made me think about some things I miss in LA: The Cal Plaza Watercourt; the downtown art walk; the Lotus festival and Tofu festival; tacos de papas, chile relleno burritos, and eggplant gyros; the Drunken Goat at Mendocino Farms (it's a sandwich); watching old films at the old cinemas; and seeing “CSI: New York” being filmed outside my apartment. (Plus, of course, the weather and my friends, but that goes without saying.)

No comments: