Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My first interview

I was thinking -- as I lay awake at 4am -- that this is the first interview I've had in 14 years.

Or, at least, the first interview I cared about.

I did have one phone interview in San Francisco, but I'm fine over the phone; it's in person that I tend to freeze up. I had a couple of interviews with Capital Group, but the consulting agency was paying me anyway, so I didn't care if I got the job or not.

This interview was already important before I learned I'd need to come up with £4,000 ($8,000 US) to rent let a flat, which was half my savings. Now this interview took on epic proportions.

So how did I do? "Crash" and "burn" come to mind. One of the senior developers got me on a couple of esoteric C++ questions. (Dynamic casting from a derived class to a parent class, anyone?) I actually boned up on C++ yesterday, since it's been a while, but obviously not enough. Well, except for 2 or 3 questions, I think I did fine, but we'll see. (And I'm taking my C++ book back to the store for a refund.)

In the meantime, my resume CV is also being presented to BP, so now I have to reconcile all of my environmentally-conscious ideals with cold, hard cash.

P.S. Yep, I was rejected for not having "enough experience" in the aforementioned esoteric technical skills, which I'm pretty sure they're not even using at their shop. I suspect they'll call me back in a couple of weeks after they finish the other interviews and realize what a prize they let slip through their fingers, but I'm moving on.

No comments: